Too many cooks spoil the broth – there is much truth in this statement. While there is nothing wrong with a multi-tasking machine, some people prefer an exclusive machine that is dedicated to serving a single function in the best possible manner rather than a ‘Jack of all trades’ machine.
If you’re looking for an exclusive embroidery-only machine then the Brother PE770 would fit the bill perfectly. With a large 5×7 inch design field and an array of default designs and lettering fonts, there is no end to the number of embroidery designs you can create with this machine.Brother International Corporation is a premier supplier of innovative home sewing and embroidery machines. The brand is reputed for its high quality cutting edge machines which provide maximum value-for-money with their reasonable price tags.
Read The Rest Of The Brother PE770 Embroidery Only Machine Review:
Table of Contents
- 136 embroidery designs with 6 lettering fonts
- Automatic thread cutter
- 4” x 2.7” backlit LCD touchscreen display
- Large 5”x7” embroidery hoop
- Flexible design editing which includes options like size adjustments, mirror-image, rotation, preview, etc
- Automatic needle threader with numbered chart for perfect and quick threading through the needle’s eye
- Quick-set bobbin for easy stress-free embroidery
- Compatible with USB Memory Stick
No. Of Built-In / Pre-Programmed Designs
Back To Top
Brother PE770 embroidery only machine comes with 136 default embroidery designs which comprises of complex florals, classic quilt patterns and delicate scrollwork to name a few. Since the machine is also USB compatible, therefore you can import your own custom designs into the machine with the help of a USB memory stick.
No. of Lettering Fonts
Back To Top
There are 6 lettering fonts offered including script, outline, Sans Serif and Serif.
Back To Top
As far as the sewing stitches of the machine is concerned, there are 184 of them. This includes decorative stitches like shell tuck, heirloom, drawnwork, smocking, scallop and so on. Needless to mention, this is more than enough stitch functions required by the user. Also, the machine provides 10 professional buttonholes.
In addition to the sewing stitches, there are 136 built-in embroidery designs to choose from. You can embroider florals, scrollwork or intricate quilt designs onto your workpiece. What’s more, there are also 10 frame shapes and 12 border styles to choose from. Also, users can combine these stitches, embroidery designs, frames and borders with one or more of the 6 lettering fonts. Thus, the options are endless, all you need to do is unleash your creativity!
If you thought that this was all, then you’ll be surprised to learn that the device also allows users to make their own custom sewing stitches for added creativity. The device also has the sideways sewing feature, which is particularly useful for sewing horizontally, i.e. in case of cylindrical workpieces and appliques.
Maximum Design Dimension/Sewing Field
Back To Top
The sewing field in case of this one is quite large, i.e. 5” x 7”. A bonus multi-positionable hoop of 5” x 12” size is also included, this is perfect for times when one has to combine designs with less rehooping.
Back To Top
This is an embroidery-only machine, which means that it is a lot easier to master in comparison to other machines, for instance one that offers additional functions like serging. While the device comes with an English/Spanish operation manual, there is really no need to spend hours reading it because the device is quite intuitive. The LCD screen makes it easy to choose and customize/edit the design to be stitched onto the fabric. You can rotate, mirror-image, increase or decrease the size of the designs as per your preference and requirement.
Also features such as the automatic thread trimmer, jam resistant quick-set bobbin, variable speed control button, advanced easy needle threading system and the brightly lit sewing area make it easy to operate the machine.
21.2 x 16.9 x 17.3 inches
Weight : 27.1 pounds
- 2 embroidery hoops: 5×7 inches and 5×12 inches
- Accessory bag containing seam ripper, needle set, 2 screwdrivers, 3 bobbins, 3 spool caps and cleaning brush
- Power cord
- Hard Protective carrying case
- 11 sewing feet
- Expansive 5×7 inches embroidery area which is large enough to fit designs for jackets, tote bags, quilt squares, etc
- Wide range of built-in embroidery designs, lettering fonts, sewing stitches, buttonholes, frames and borders.
- 4” x 2.7” touchscreen extremely user-friendly LCD display
- USB port for importing designs from a memory stick, iBroidery.com or for installing downloaded updates for the machine
- One-touch auto thread trimmer which cuts the upper and lower threads easily, thereby saving a lot of time and effort
- The top-load drop-in bobbin system provides even and reliable stitch quality minus any jamming
- Clear-view bobbin cover, which makes it easy to see the thread running low
- Very easy needle threading system, one simply needs to press the lever and the thread would be pushed precisely through the needle’s eye
- Stitch speed slide lever allows you to control the speed of the stitch; the maximum embroidery speed is 650 spm
- Learning curve is very small
- Can sew horizontally without turning the fabric around
- Is only meant for embroidery
- The instruction manual contains instructions for hooping flat piece of material or fabrics only
- LCD screen is black and white
- No option of putting additional fonts into the machine
- The machine does not recognize the upper thread coming undone
- Cannot be used in countries which do not support 120V AC
- Some users have found the bobbin to be hard to wind
- Some users have also reported easy breaking of the needle owing to the tension on the bobbin thread going off at times
Back To Top
The ideal ratings for Brother PE770 should be around mid 4 out of 5 as it does have its shortcomings. For some, the machine does not score brownie points owing to the fact that it is a plain embroidery machine, not a multi-functional one that also serves as a serger and a sewing machine. Another common issue for which the machine does not receive exceptional ratings from consumers is the fact that they have to scroll through pages of designs to find the one that they need. This can be quite tedious for some because of the amount of scrolling required.
You can read more here: Brother PE770 Embroidery Only Machine Reviews
Back To Top
Brother PE770 is definitely on the higher end of the price spectrum. However, for those who require an exclusive embroidery machine, it is worth the investment because of the sheer number of appliques, embroidery designs, patterns, frames and sewing stitches. What’s more, one can also feed in customized designs into the machine via USB port. For those on the lookout for an exclusive and dedicated embroidery machine, this would make the cut.
As for out-of-pocket costs, one has to invest in backup or standby needles because these tend to break easily when the tension of the bobbin thread goes off.
Back To Top
Backed by a limited warranty for 25 years and free phone support for the lifetime of the product, Brother PE770 is an award winning embroidery machine with ‘Consumers Digest Best Buy’ seal to its credit. The machine is designed to offer easy embroidering and embellishing of all kinds of items from t-shirts to home decor products.
With an array of stitch and embroidery functions, the machine does a great job at expanding one’s design collection. It provides flexibility, durability and quality at par with a commercial or professional embroidery machine despite of being a home-use or domestic embroidery machine, which is quite commendable.
|Features||Brother PE770 5x7 Inch Embroidery Only Machine|
|Affordability||3.7 out of 5|
|Software Included||No; it has to be purchased separately from Brother|
|Automatic Thread Trimming||Yes; one touch automatic thread cutter that trims both the upper and lower threads|
|Design||4.2 out of 5|
|Needle Size||Size 11 or 14|
|LCD Screen||Yes; 1.4” x 2.7” in size|
|Final Rating||4.4 out of 5|